Thursday, December 13, 2012

MUST HAVE ITEM OF THE MOMENT: The Polar Express

"On Christmas Eve, many years ago, I lay quietly in my bed.  I did not rustle the sheets, I breathed slowly and silently. I was listening for a sound I was afraid I'd never hear: the sound of Santa's sleigh bells." 

The Polar Express

I'm not talking about the movie my little elves (although I did snuggle up next to my TV with a glass of wine and a wintery candle last night to watch it), I am talking about that classic, I mean classic Christmas book. The movie is a bit scary for my taste (why all the crazy train parts?!?) but the book is truly ah-mazing.  A well deserved Caldecott Metal winner by Chris Van Allsburg. 

image via google


EVERY year, I mean probably since I was in the wound, my Dad would read us The Polar Express on Christmas Eve.  It is the best. book. ever.  Hands down. We would shake the bell, and always hear it.  If you believe in Christmas, you can hear the bell. "Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are things we can't see."

I''ll give you a little summary: a skeptical boy gets whisked away to the North Pole via The Polar Express to meet Santa one Christmas Eve.  He is chosen to receive the first gift of Christmas (OMG how cool!) and he chooses one simple bell from Santa's sleigh.  I probably wouldn't have chosen that (I would have asked for the whole sleigh or Louboutins!), but moving on... THEN, it falls out of his robe on the ride home.  BUT never fear- it just happens to appear under the Christmas tree the next morning perfectly wrapped up in a nice little box.  Isn't Santa a gem?!?

The book has beautiful drawings, a sweet, timeless story and a heart-warming message to all.  Order yours by Amazon and have it in time to read on Christmas Eve.  If you are young or old, it's never to late to start a tradition.  And if you are friend with little ones or soon to have little ones (Congrats to Katie!) this is the perfect time to start!

As Mr. C says "Remember, the true spirit of Christmas lies in your heart."
XOXO 
Little Miss Wade

No comments:

Post a Comment