Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Do YOU have a shopping strategy?

I feel like we must call it a strategy, because after all it is a sport. Sports have strategies right? Clearly, you are talking to the girl who in-a-really-intense-moment scored on her own goal in high school soccer.  Sorry about that Coach Lawhon. 

Anyways, I really feel like I can’t just walk into a store without an agenda.  However, you can definitely just browse on over to your favorite website and scroll for hours on end, if you don’t have anything else to do.  This is usually how I spend my Sundays.  Ok, and my lunches.  Ok, and most weeknights.  There it is, out on the open, I am a (shopping) addict.  No 12 step program needed here! 

Whenever you walk into a store, you need purpose.  You are (usually) coming to buy a specific thing.  You need a new pair of jeans, a dress for a wedding, a pair of shoes to match an outfit, etc.  So, you know what you are looking for and know what you want.  Sometimes, you are just browsing.  In that case- no game plan needed just a budget.  (AH... the B word…budget…)

I will tell you my strategy.  My GAME PLAN, if you will.  I walk into a store with purpose.  I am going to look for a new something.  I try to always buy something that I can incorporate with SOMETHING else in my closet.  I will usually scout out the entire store.  I will pick up anything immediately I CANNOT AND WILL NOT live without.  Then, on a second trip around the store, I will pick up things I’d love to try on and see how they look.  I almost always try on in store, unless I’m in a big rush.  I scout the store a third time to insure I am not missing anything before hitting the dressing rooms.  While I am trying things on I like to ask myself certain questions like:
  • Do I absolutely LOVE this? Can I live without it? Am I going to dream about it tonight?
  • Is this flattering? Does it accentuate the good things and hide the bad???
  •  Does this go with anything I already own? Will it mix and mingle in my closet?
  • Do I love this enough to wear in the next week?
  • Is it worth the retail price?*
*Very important question.  Sometimes you might like an item a lot, a whole lot.  But if you are on a B word (ekkk...budget!!!) you can't spend X amount on something, sigh.  BUT, don’t get sad! Stores have sales people! They have promotions.  I try not to buy anything full price.  I try to wait until there is a sale or promotion! 

Once I’ve answered these questions, I will know what I am purchasing.  After I try everything on I hit the accessories section.  Whether it be shoes, jewelry, tights, etc. this is the next place I go.  At this point you know what you are buying clothes-wise and can figure out what accessories you are going to need to make the outfit complete.

How do you shop? I would love to hear your strategy! 


XOXO
Little Miss Wade

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, great advice! Posting it on the CC FB page...thankful for your blog Morgs!

    ReplyDelete